Fundació Mies van der Rohe and Creative Europe wish to inform you of the new dates for the European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture – Mies van der Rohe Award, which is currently in progress. The present circumstances force us this change of dates in order to maintain the rigour and value that distinguish this Award.
The protocol that makes the nominations and the jury assessments excel involves meeting and discussion days that need to be in person, with all the materials in hand and the final decision of the awarded works requires a joint visit of all the jury members coming from different countries on a tour through the host cities of the finalist works, with the guidance of the author teams and their users, and this is not possible now.
We want to guarantee that both the selection of candidate works presented by the experts and the process of evaluating them, carried out by the jury, can continue to be made based on first-hand knowledge, both in terms of their constructions and the fulfilment of their functions. Thus, the 2022 Award process will be organised in two phases: a first phase that compiles the nominations of works completed between October 2018 and October 2020 (which initially had to be part of the EU Mies Award 2021) and a second exceptional phase that includes those works completed in the period running from November 2020 to April 2021. Together, these two phases will constitute the list of works eligible for the EU Mies Award 2022, which will observe the following calendar:
· January 2021: announcement of the works nominated in the first phase of the EU Mies Award
· September 2021: announcement of the works nominated in the second phase of the EU Mies Award.
. January 2022: announcement of the Shortlisted works
· February 2022: announcement of the 5 finalist works
· April 2022: announcement of the Winners
· May 2022: EU Mies Award Day with conferences, debates and the Awards ceremony in the Barcelona Mies van der Rohe Pavilion, opening of the travelling exhibition, presentation of the publication and open days to the selected works around Europe.
Mark these dates on your calendar to keep track of and share the whole process!